Week 30: Wise Choices –
Choices, choices, choices!
We hope that our children grow into adults who make wise choices. If we want them to be responsible in choosing their career, where they want to live and with whom they spend their lives, they will need lots of practice making decisions before they reach adulthood.
Parents and teachers make a lot of decisions for young children. Yet, there are plenty of ways they can try out their decision-making skills in a scaffolded way.
- We can let them pick between two choices
- We can speak our thoughts out loud when we are making decisions, so they can hear our decision-making process.
- We can give them many opportunities to make developmentally appropriate choices like what to wear, what book they want to read, or what game they want to play.
- We can allow children to make mistakes and learn from them as long as they are safe.
This week the Puppet Kids learn the consequences of their choices and how to make wise decisions about:
- Getting enough sleep
- Eating healthy food or not
- Taking care of their things
- Getting work finished on time
As children watch these scenarios, they can think about how they might make their own choices in similar situations. This will help to build their confidence, critical thinking skills, and decisiveness. These are qualities of good decision-makers.
Leave a Reply