Fostering “Social-Emotional Learning” Skills in Young Learners
Be A World Changer
- Responsible Decision-Making – Be A World Changer: Teaching children to use their time, talents, and resources to make the world a better place.
5 W’s Of Being A Good Friend
- Relationship Skills – 5 W’s Of Being A Good Friend: Children learn practical tools for building friendships.
What Are They Telling Me?
- Social Awareness – What Are They Telling Me?: Paying attention to both verbal and non-verbal language.
- Self-Management – Be Adaptable: Being flexible when things don’t go as planned.
- Self-Awareness – Taking Risks: (as long as it’s safe) when trying new things.
One Thing At A Time
- Responsible Decision-Making – One Thing At a Time: Slowing down and trying to focus on one thing at a time.
Think The Best Of Others
- Social Awareness – Think The Best of Others: when they do things we don’t like or understand.
Pay Attention To:
- Self-Management – Pay Attention To: feelings, motivation, and surroundings when things are hard.
Believe in Yourself
- Self-Awareness – Believe in Yourself: when things are hard.
Ask Good Questions
- Responsible Decision-Making – Ask Good Questions: to help you make a wise decision.
Same and Different
- Relationship Skills – Same and Different: learning how friends are the same and different than me.
My Family Does it This Way
- Social Awareness – My Family Does It This Way: learning how different families do different things
- Self-Management – Accepting Feedback: Learning to accept feedback as an opportunity to learn and grow.
Let’s Check In
- Self-Awareness – Let’s Check-In: Helping children reflect on how they solved a problem and what they might do to improve in the future.
- Responsible Decision-Making – Integrity: Doing the right thing, even when it is hard or no one is watching.
- Relationship Skills – Setting Boundaries: Learning to stand up for yourself with peers.
They Might Feel Differently Than You
- Social Awareness – They Might Feel Differently Than You: Becoming aware that others might feel differently than you in the same situation.
When Worries Get Too Big
- Self-Management – When Worries Get Too Big: Learning strategies to help when you have big emotions.
The Power of And
- Self-Awareness – The Power of AND: Understanding that you can have two different feelings at the same time.
- Responsible Decision-Making – Choices, Choices: Learning some questions to ask yourself when you have a choice to make.
- Relationship Skills – Supporting Others: Learning how to be a supportive friend.
Recognizing Others’ Strengths
- Social Awareness – Recognizing Others’ Strengths: Recognizing what your friends do well and how to go to them for help in those areas.
When Things Don’t Go My Way
- Self-Management – When Things Don’t Go My Way: Learning some strategies when things don’t go your way.
- Bonus Week – Practicing Gratitude: Learning how to practice gratitude.
What Made Me Feel That Way?
- Self-Awareness – What Made Me Feel That Way?: Understanding what things cause us to experience different feelings.
Just Think If Everyone Did that
- Responsible Decision-Making – Just Think If Everyone Did That: Learning to think of others and not just yourself.
Problem Solving With Friends
- Relationship Skills – Problem Solving With Friends: Learning to calm down, say how you feel and then brainstorm ways to solve problems with others.
Appreciating People Who Help Us
- Social-Awareness – Appreciating People Who Help Us: Knowing who you can go to for help at school and how you can show them appreciation.
Whose Job Is it?
- Self-Management – Whose Job Is It?: Learning to do your best on jobs that belong to you and to let it go, if it is someone else’s job.
I Haven’t Learned That Yet
- Self-Awareness – I Haven’t Learned That Yet: If you haven’t learned something YET, knowing what you can do to eventually learn that skill.
When Friends Have Big Emotions
- Responsible Decision-Making – When Friends Have Big Emotions: Learning ways to support a friend who is experiencing a big emotion.
Be A Good Friend
- Relationship Skills – Be A Good Friend: Learning some basic friendship skills.
Dealing With Change
- Self-Management – Dealing With Change: Learning to handle changes that come with starting school.
Working & Playing With Others
- Social Awareness – Working & Playing With Others: Learning ways to work and play with others at school.
Vision For My Classroom
- Self-Awareness – Vision For My Classroom: A strategy for having students help create a vision for their classroom in visual form. This is good at the beginning of the school year.
Living Like A Leader
- Responsible Decision-Making – Living Like A Leader: This reviews some of the ways kids have learned how to be leaders.
Dealing With Disagreements
- Relationship Skills – Dealing With Disagreements: Learning some strategies to help children handle disagreements with each other.
In the Spotlight
- Social Awareness – In The Spotlight: Learning how to give and accept praise and attention.
Dealing With Disappointment
- Self-Management – Dealing With Disappointment: Learning some strategies to handle disappointments.
What’s Important to You?
- Self-Awareness — What’s Important To You?: Understanding your own values.
- Responsible Decision Making — Wise Decisions: Making wise choices for self care.
Friends are Respectful
- Relationship Skills – Friends Are Respectful: Respecting others’ feelings.
How Do You Think They Feel?
- Social Awareness – How Do You Think They Feel?: Using a social filter.
Stop, Think, Go!
- Self-Management – Stop, Think, Go!: A strategy for solving problems.
What Can You Do?
- Self-Awareness – What Can You Do? How to handle uncomfortable feelings.
Talk it out
- Responsible Decision Making — Talk It Out: How to communicate with friends in a conflict.
Let it Go
- Relationship Skills — Let It Go: Letting go of past mistakes with friends.
Friends Play Fair
- Social Awareness — Friends Play Fair: Strategies to play fair.
I Am Resilient
- Self Management — I Am Resilient: Going with the flow when things are different, hard or scary
I Like Myself
Be an upstander
- Responsible Decision Making — Be An Upstander: Standing up for self or others.
- Relationship Skills — Apologizing: Learning to apologize and take responsibility for actions.
Thinking of Others
- Social Awareness — Thinking of Others: Learning how to see a situation from another’s perspective.
Stick with It
- Self-Awareness — Growth Mindset: Trying something hard without giving up.
- Conciencia De Sí Mismo – Crecimiento Mental
Setting and Reaching Goals
- Responsible Decision Making — Setting and Reaching Goals: Picking a goal and coming up with a plan for reaching it.
- Decisiones Responsables – Establecer y Llegar a la Meta
Building Others Up
- Relationship Skills — Building Others Up: Strategies to encourage others.
- Habilidades en una Relación – Construir a Otros
- Social Awareness — Appreciating Others: Ways to appreciate those at home, school and in the community.
- Conciencia Social – Apreciando a los Demás
Press the Pause Button
- Self-Management — Press the Pause Button: Ways to get calm when experiencing big emotions.
- Autogestión: Presione el Botón de Pausa
- Gratitude Week —: Focusing on being grateful.
- Lecciones Adicionales Por La Semana de Acción de Gracias – Practicando Gratitud
- Self-Awareness — Practicing Mindfulness: Mindfulness strategies to calm down.
- Conciencia de sí Mismo – Practicando la Atención Plena
- Responsible Decisions — Peer Influence: Deciding whether to follow a peer or not.
Solving Problems With Friends
- Relationship Skills — Solving Problems with Friends: Strategies to work through a problem with a friend.
- Habilidades de Relación – Resolviendo Problemas con Amigos
Social Awareness Detective
- Social Awareness — Social Awareness Detective: Looking for social cues to determine how others are feeling.
Managing Big Emotions
- Self-Management — Managing Big Emotions: Strategies to deal with frustration, disappointment, anxiety and fatigue.
All Our Feelings Are OK
- Self-Awareness — All Our Feelings Are OK: Identifying and embracing emotions.
- Responsible Decisions — Planning Ahead: Strategies to plan ahead for expected and unexpected events
Fair is Not the Same
- Relationship Skills — Fair is Not the Same: Understanding that others might have different needs to learn.
Being a Part of a Group
- Social Awareness — Being Part of a Group: Learning how to successfully be a part of a group.
Managing Time, Materials and Schedules
- Self-Management – Manage Time, Materials and Schedules: Strategies to organize time and things.
Interests, Hobbies, Strengths, Challenges
- Self-Awareness — Interests, Hobbies, Strengths and Challenges: Being aware of your own interests, strengths and challenges and getting to learn about peers. This is a good “getting to know you” activity.