Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is an important part of a child’s development. It is the process in which they learn about themselves, others, and how to navigate their world in a responsible and caring way. When children learn how to understand and manage their emotions, build trusting relationships and effectively solve problems, they can experience more success at home, in school, and in the wider community.
A Little SEL provides supplemental videos depicting age-appropriate scenarios for young children (PreK-Kindergarten-First grade) to reinforce skills in each of these five competencies from the CASEL framework:
- Self-awareness is how we understand ourselves better.
- Self-Management is how we manage our emotions, thoughts and actions.
- Social Awareness is how we understand others and develop empathy.
- Relationship Skills are how we connect and engage with others.
- Responsible Decisions are how we make caring and wise choices.